All International students must meet the immigration and visa requirements of the Canadian government.
These requirements along with the various documents needed (and the locations from which they can be obtained) can be found by referring to the Canadian Government web site: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.asp
Students entering grades 10, 11 and 12 must be able to demonstrate competency in the English language. Students may be asked to be tested through an iTEPS SLATE English Proficiency Exam and an online interview. This service is available in many main cities worldwide. For more information on where to take this exam, please go to the following website: http://www.itepexam.com/.
ELL classes will be available to supplement student’s existing English knowledge and students will be enrolled in an ESL online course.
For students entering grade 9 or lower will need to have an English test online. Students must be prepared to study for most of the time in an all-English learning environment.
- Fill in admissions forms including all necessary documentation (see Application Package Checklist). Include $250.00 (non-refundable) registration fee to be wired to the school.
- The school will determine the eligibility of the student within 3 weeks of receiving all documents. An online interview with potential students may be requested.
- The applicant will receive a letter conditionally accepting the student to the program.
- Upon acceptance, the full tuition must be paid before an official Letter of Acceptance can be issued.
NCS will assess students prior to the start of the school year at the Student Orientation Day. (Usually the day before the first day of school) All international students need to have been in Canada at least 2 days prior to the Student Orientation Day. NCS will assess students needs and determine what courses will best suit their needs. Students may be required to take courses at a lower level than the grade they have been accepted into. This means that students in grade 11 or 12 will need to take some grade 10 courses.
All international students need to fulfill the British Columbia graduation requirements and NCS requirements. Regardless of students level of English, tutors are strongly recommended and sometimes mandatory as determined by NCS staff.
A successful experience depends upon the student making his/her best effort in every area of school life. The school reserves the right to dismiss students and return them home, at the parent’s expense, without tuition refund, for violations of the School’s Code of Conduct and/or International Student Guidelines, or if Nanaimo Christian School has been provided with false information.
2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR
(when submitting application or renewal)
|Graduation Year Additional
(for grad fees, photos, dinner, graduation, and Dry Grad)
*Tuition includes: medical insurance, student activity fees, ELL classes and 1 ESL online course
- Students will need to purchase additional ESL online courses @ $900.00 per level
- Students are required to meet weekly deadlines
- This course is monitored by an online teacher who communicates regularly with the International Coordinator
- Nanaimo Christian School reserves the right to make tutoring mandatory for all first year International students
- All students taking English 10 are required to have a minimum of 2 after-school tutoring sessions per week and have completed ESL level 4
If a student is not living with his/her parents, the school reserves the right to determine the family with whom the student will stay.
No student will be permitted to live in a suite, or on their own, since not only is he/she in Canada to study, but also to integrate into Canadian society and culture.
- A full refund, except for the registration fee ($250) will be refunded if student’s study visa is not approved. (Original copy of rejection letter from Embassy is required.)
- If the student withdraws prior to the first of September, ⅔ of tuition is refundable as well as all of the medical insurance fee. Homestay fees will be reimbursed unless a homestay placement has been found, then $900 (one month’s fee) will be paid to the homestay family unless a replacement for that homestay is not found within 2 weeks.
- If the student withdraws between Sept 1 and September 30 or within 30 days of the start date, ½ of tuition is refundable
- After September 30 or after 30 days from start date, no tuition is refundable.
- Students are required to give 1 month’s notice to their homestay family, or one month’s rent ($900) will be retained. The remainder of homestay fees will be returned to the student.
- Medical fees will be returned to the student after a one month waiting period as required by our medical provider, Guard Me.
English Learning Language
English Learning Language classes-these are small group or one on one sessions where lessons are targeted to meet the students’ current level. Depending on student’s courses, 1.5 – 3 hours of ELL instruction per week will be provided by an ESL teacher.
This is a leveled 1-5 online course. Students are assessed prior to the beginning of school during our Student Orientation Day and placed in the appropriate level. Students are required to complete a lesson a week and level 4 needs to be completed prior to students entering English 10.
Tuition includes one level and additional required levels are paid by students.
International Homestay Program
Student Placement Policy
Enrollment opportunities are open to students in grades K-12. Children in grades K-5 are required to live or plan to live with their parent/parents in Canada. Homestay families will be provided for students attending grades 6-12. Our Christian homestay families are carefully selected by trained staff members using information you provide to us on the Student Homestay Information Form. If a student is not living with his/her parents the school reserves the right to determine the family with whom the student will stay. No student will be permitted to live in a suite or on their own since not only is he/she in Canada to study but also to integrate into Canadian society and culture.
Application Package Checklist
(Please ensure that all required information is enclosed with your application)
- Completed Registration Form
- Completed Medical Information Form
- Immunization Records
- Application Fee (non-refundable) wired to Nanaimo Christian School
- Completed Financial Responsibility Form
- Completed Student Homestay Information Form – if applicable
- Completed Behaviour Code Agreement – if applicable
- Custodian document
(Both pages of completed and signed Custodian form must be scanned and e-mailed or faxed)
- Copy of current Passport
- Officially translated copies of transcripts and/or report cards for the past two years
- iTEP SLATE- English Proficiency test results ( for students in grade 10-12) register at: http://www.itepexam.com/itep-for-educational-institutions
Please email a copy of current Student Study Visa (contact your nearest Canadian Embassy) once you have received. (Tuition must be paid in FULL prior to receiving a Letter of Acceptance)
Do you have any questions? Complete the form below.
You can also upload your Application here.
If you prefer mail, please send your completed Application Package to:
Rhonda Libbus – International Program Coordinator
Nanaimo Christian School
198 Holland Rd.
Nanaimo, BC Canada
Phone Inquiries: 1 250 754 4512 Ext. 122