Updated: Oct 12, 2021
Introducing new additions to the student support team in high school at NCS.
Meet Mrs. Claire Mitchell, Mr. Peer Ristine and Mr. Evan Klaassen (pictured from left), the newest additions to the high school student support team at Nanaimo Christian School! Here are 7 things you need to know about them.
1) They support students in Grades 9-12 in their role as either an Educational Assistant or Learning Support Assistant.
2) Before coming to NCS Mrs. Mitchell taught at a Christian school in South Africa, Mr. Ristine worked in forestry (ask him about dangerous wildlife encounters), and Mr. Klaassen was a youth leader at Departure Bay Baptist Church and worked at Camp Qwanoes.
3) What Mr. Klaassen loves most about his job at NCS: "I love getting to do hard work/study with young students, thriving off of their energy, hopefully being a good example in leadership and life. When I get to work alongside older and better co-workers then I also get to grow."
4) If they were animals, Mr. Ristine would be a spider monkey because he loves climbing things, Mr. Klaassen would be a zebra because "they're a funny horse with lots of friends and natural camouflage," and Claire would be an eagle to soar high and watch the world from above.
5) Mr. Ristine's secret talent is hacky sack and Mr. Klaassen's is playing the bagpipes or doing impersonations.
6) On weekends Mrs. Mitchell loves exploring Nanaimo and Vancouver Island and enjoying the wonders of nature with her family.
7) God has been teaching Mr. Ristine that his opinions and bias can hinder his relationships in the world. "Instead, sometimes I need to step back from situations and look at them more objectively before jumping to conclusions," he says.